Friday, May 24, 2013

Dave Cockrum's Star Trek

I've always loved Dave Cockrum's art.  One of my first exposures to his work is when he drew Marvel's Star Trek comic in the early 80's after the first movie came out.  His style was perfect for Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the Enterprise crew's adventures.  He drew these neat costume guides for the new style Starfleet uniforms, which were pretty much abandoned a couple of years later when Star Trek II came out.
It's a shame Dave's no longer with us.  I would have loved to have seen what he could have done with J.J. Abrams' version of the classic crew.  I bet it would have been great, just like these pieces were.

1 comment:

Richard Bensam said...

Cockrum made those outfits look good, but the Admiral's uniform is the only one that looks worthy of being drawn by him by virtue of having some color and contrast to it. When the Next Generation series began, the very first thing I thought when I first saw the new uniforms was "now those look like Dave Cockrum outfits!" I kid you not.