Saturday, April 06, 2013

Carmine Infantino R.I.P.

The comic book world lost a true icon last week when Carmine Infantino passed away.  He was one of the most innovative artists of the Silver Age and he helped lead DC Comics to what I feel was their best period in the 1970's.  I was fortunate enough to meet him twice and he was very nice to me both times, talking about designing the Silver Age Flash and drawing one of my favorite characters, Adam Strange.  He also signed the above book for me.  It's an exhaustive look at his career and is a must have for any Infantino fan.
While I really liked his interior work, his cover art was what really set him apart.  He was a master at cover design, as these examples from his seminal work on The Flash, Mystery In Space, and the "new look" Batman prove.  Covers courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.
Among my earliest exposures to Carmine's work was his run on Star Wars for Marvel in the late 70's.  As a kid who lived for anything taking place in a galaxy far, far away, at first I was really disappointed in the art.  It was way too stylized for my eight year old taste.  But as I got older, I started to really appreciate the unique approach he brought to my favorite movie's characters.
R.I.P. Carmine and thanks for all the wonderful comic art you produced through the years.




1 comment:

Todd Franklin said...

Very nice tribute! He will be missed.