Saturday, March 02, 2013

The Phantom The Charlton Years Vol. One





I recently picked up this hardback collection featuring the one and only Ghost Who Walks drawn by the one and only Jim Aparo.  This book by Hermes Press reprints the first nine Charlton issues cover dated February, 1969 to June, 1970.  In addition to the great Aparo artwork, there are also examples of Sal Trapani, Pat Boyette, Bill Lignante, and Frank McLaughlin's work.  Dick Wood wrote most of the stories and they're pretty decent.  Of course the Aparo art is the main reason I picked this up.  He was arguably in his prime in the early 70's and most of these stories showcases the style that became famous later on in his Batman work.




Hermes also reprinted several pieces of Aparo's original artwork from issue #38.  I always love looking at original Aparo art (I wish I had more of it in my collection) and these pieces don't disappoint.














I recommend this book to any fan of The Phantom or Jim Aparo.  There's a lot of good Bronze Age reading here.  Amazon has it for $34.99, which is a pretty good deal.

2 comments:

Todd Franklin said...

That looks great and I'll have to pick that up!

Kid said...

H'mm. I'm interested. I'll have to check and see if my local comics shop has it in stock.