Sunday, August 12, 2012

Joe Kubert R.I.P.

I was devastated today to learn of the passing of one of the greatest practitioners of comic art. Joe Kubert was an influence on many, many artists and storytellers and was a master craftsman who excelled at pretty much everything he did throughout his 70+ year career. He was always one of my favorite artists and these gems are just a few of the reasons why. Covers from the Grand Comics Database.
I never got to meet him personally but a buddy of mine got the pleasure and had Joe sign the title page of one of the Sgt. Rock archive volumes for me.
I also wrote to him one time to tell him how much I admired his Fax From Sarajevo graphic novel. He signed my book and wrote me a little note which I cherish.
My greatest Kubert related item is this gorgeous Hawkman sketch he did for me when I bought his How To Draw From Life book. It's one of my favorite sketches.
There were no other artists like Joe Kubert. He was a great ambassador for the comic art medium and will be missed by many, many comic fans, including this one. R.I.P. Joe.

2 comments:

Todd Franklin said...

He was one of the greatest!

NINE9INCHE STUD said...

One of my favorites.Best Tarzan artist.