Sunday, December 07, 2008

Battle Of The Planets



One of my favorite cartoons as a kid was Battle Of The Planets. I just really dug the Star Wars type space adventure from Japan, although at the time I didn't realize it was an Americanized version of a popular Japanese show. Anyway, I was very excited when I found out Gold Key put out a Battle Of The Planets comic series. It only lasted 5 issues but I enjoyed the four color adaptation with art by DC Silver Age artist Win Mortimer. This cover is from #2, cover dated August, 1979.

2 comments:

Glen Mullaly said...

BOTP was a favourite with me too! And, like you, I didn't realize it's Japanese origins until much later - although I remember noticing the animation style differences between the main parts of the show and the 7-Zark-7 bits at the time.

I think I passed the comics first go 'round as the art just wasn't up to snuff for me. But I've picked them up here and there when I can find them for a quarter or two.

My Overstreet Guide says there were ten issues though. The other five of the series were from Whitman, who were another imprint of Western Publishing.

A friend in grade 4 or 5 dressed up as Mark for Halloween one year, complete with custom headgear made from a hockey helmet. Boy I wish I had a picture of that!

All the BOTP talk has made me pull out my soundtrack cd. I think I'll go pop it on now. "Dedicated... Inseparable... Invincible!"

Dale said...

BOTP later on called G-Force. It was always BOTP for me.

I knew it was Japanese from the start and would rush home from school to catch it.